Academy Exchange

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

COVID and HIV/PrEP

• 1.  COVID and HIV/PrEP

Posted 05-12-2020 19:31
    I am just curious if anyone has had a patient with HIV or on PrEP who has tested positive for COVID-19. So far all of the patients we have tested that were symptomatic tested negative. They are not social distancing by any means. We have seen an influx of syphilis, gonorrhea, and chlamydia but no COVID-19. A common denominator for many or I should say most of these patients is TAF. I would like to know what others are seeing in their neck of the woods.
    Thanks

Sent from my iPhone

• 2.  RE: COVID and HIV/PrEP

Posted 05-13-2020 13:57
    Edited by Carolyn Patton 05-13-2020 13:58
    I am in a rural area.  I have had at least 2 patients test positive.  One on Biktarvy and another on Dovato.  We are not testing at my clinic though.

------------------------------
    Carolyn Patton

• 3.  RE: COVID and HIV/PrEP

Posted 05-13-2020 16:37
    Dan Warner …the same for me…may HIV patients testing positive for exposure but no one is symptomatic from COVID-19….doc

• 4.  RE: COVID and HIV/PrEP

Posted 05-13-2020 15:53
    Hi,

We have had several of both who have run the spectrum from very mild symptoms to patients requiring prolonged hospitalization, ventilation, and in several cases having expired.  

Many of our MSM PrEP patients have been so meticulous about social distancing that they have chosen to suspend PrEP as they perceive themselves at absolutely no risk.  For the most part, social distancing has been taken very seriously in a significant portion of the community here and our results with COVID19 show it. 

The COVID19 response by our community has been impressive.  From an early "national hotspot" that was thought to have possibly "seeded the rest of the nation's pandemic" to already entering Phase 1 of reopening with steadily declining case and deaths.  A nod also to our medical infrastructure as we NEVER exceeded capacity and have actually pioneered some resource sharing and vent sharing protocols for hospital systems nationwide to mirror.  

Of patients we have lost to COVID19 who were also LWHIV they almost all had NUMEROUS other comorbidities.  Generally they were 40+, MSM, h/o of CVD, HTN, DM, renal issues, and asthma.  Based on our experience with COVID19 overall I truly believe their HIV played a minor role if one at all in the course of their ARDS from COVID19.  I would note the metabolic syndrome, copd/asthma, renal disease, and other chronic illnesses along with a major influence of healthcare disparity and poor healthcare literacy as the chief contributors to their death.  

We have seen a significant portion of patients LWHIV who were tested as part of workplace testing, were SARS COV-2 positive and stated "they never had any indication of sickness" - including fever. 

Just our experience here.

John Brissette
    New Orleans LA

• 5.  RE: COVID and HIV/PrEP

Posted 05-15-2020 16:17

That is fascinating. 

thank you so much for your reply. 

Amber

Amber Siegel MSN APRN AGNP-
    Midway Specialty Care Center
    Orlando, Florida

• 6.  RE: COVID and HIV/PrEP

Posted 05-13-2020 16:03
    I have to agree, my folks are not social distancing either as I am seeing more STIs during this time than ever.  

I have had one HIV + patient with HTN, DM and asthma to test + for Covid and was hospitalized for 6 days due to respiratory complications.  She has since recovered and is well.  

I was very worried about her, but she did ok

Marye Bernard
    Arlington TN

• 7.  RE: COVID and HIV/PrEP

Posted 05-13-2020 16:09

Here in the hotspot of Connecticut I have had many of my HIV patients with Covid-19. Two with significant co-morbidities died, and most have recovered, a few with mild symptoms, one who presented with Covid toes. As for PrEP patients I have had a few with Covid-19, but so far all have had mild symptoms and recovered quickly. 

So as to any protective effect of their ART, not for them at all. 

Gary F. Spinner PA,MPH,AAHIVS
    Southwest Community Health Center
    Bridgeport, CT
    gspinner@swchc.org
    Gary.spinner@aya.yale.edu

• 8.  RE: COVID and HIV/PrEP

Posted 05-13-2020 18:09
    We have a community clinic In NYC serving individuals with HIV. Those who had COVID19 and required hospitalization often  had Comorbidities of diabetes, severe renal disease including those on dialysis, and COPD. We Recently had our first death from COVID after complications of a stroke while hospitalized. Now with telehealth, the stay at home order 9 weeks in and the widespread awareness of the severity of the outbreak things have settled down quite a bit with many fewer new diagnoses.

Roslynn Glicksman
    Brooklyn NY

• 9.  RE: COVID and HIV/PrEP

Posted 05-13-2020 19:02
    ​I have one patient with HIV who tested positive for the COVID-19 coronavirus. He was feeling much better when we last talked. He uses abacavir/lamivudine/dolutegravir, not tenofovir. 

In April a new website, hivcovid.org, began and provides an opportunity for clinicians to report data about (non-named) persons with HIV and coronavirus so that we can learn from accumulating data.

Carl Stein, MHS, PAC
    Physician Assistant
    San Francisco, CA

• 10.  RE: COVID and HIV/PrEP

Posted 05-14-2020 15:12
    I haven't had anyone personally but one of my colleagues reports having a couple of patients on Nucs and Non nucs that tested pos. One on Biktarvy as well. No one on Prep that we can think of.

David Cupit
    Houston TX

• 11.  RE: COVID and HIV/PrEP

Posted 05-15-2020 16:18
    Thank you so much!

Amber Siegel MSN APRN AGNP-
    Midway Specialty Care Center
    Orlando, Florida

• 12.  RE: COVID and HIV/PrEP

Posted 05-28-2020 08:36
    In the Gambia, we have not recorded any case of HIV patients who tested positive for COVID 19. However, we had recorded 3 cases of COVID 19 with HTN, DM, and asthma.

Pa Bojang
    Banjul