Academy Exchange

View Only
  • 1.  Recurring Covid-19 symptoms

Posted 04-27-2020 11:45
    I spoke with a man whom I believe had Covid-19 in early March.  He had traveled to NYC and his illness was consistent. He recovered fully, but has experienced two episodes of high fevers and shaking chills lasting only about thirty minutes if treated with Tylenol.He says he feels a bit tired, but otherwise well. Has anyone seen this phenomenon or is this a red herring?

------------------------------
    K. Wayne Bockmon
    Austin TX

• 2.  RE: Recurring Covid-19 symptoms

Posted 04-28-2020 07:35
    I had one of those about 3 weeks ago with fever and did a swab and my patient had the flu and I am about 125 miles southeast of you in Victoria and we have had a big COVID outbreak in a skilled nursing facility.
    Can you get serologic test done? Prevalence in NYC is evidently at least 20% so wonder if he is IgM and IgG positive...

Thomas Kaspar
    Victoria TX

• 3.  RE: Recurring Covid-19 symptoms

Posted 04-29-2020 08:22
    Good morning everyone ,
    I think he/she should be screened for COVID-19. He/she could be having both.

Ivania Castillo-Morris
    Miramar FL

• 4.  RE: Recurring Covid-19 symptoms

Posted 04-28-2020 07:38
    I would order a test for SARS-CoV-2.  I have had many patients in my hotspot of Fairfield County, CT who have had any variety of atypical symptoms that don't fit the classic fever, chills, dry cough, SOB criteria who tested positive for Covid-19.    A few case reports have shown people to carry the novel corona virus for up to 50 days from onset of symptoms.

Gary F. Spinner PA,MPH,AAHIVS
    Southwest Community Health Center
    Bridgeport, CT
    gspinner@swchc.org
    Gary.spinner@aya.yale.edu