Academy Exchange

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Virtual (or in person) support groups for MSM adolescents or young adults with new HIV diagnoses

• 1.  Virtual (or in person) support groups for MSM adolescents or young adults with new HIV diagnoses

Posted 05-11-2021 17:47
    Hello!

My name is Nyasha GEorge and I practice in north Philadelphia. Wondering if anyone knows of national or local organizations that provide peer support or other resources to support young black MSM specifically with new diagnoses? I'll also outreach to our Aids Activities Coordination Center and community LGBTQ organizations in Philly, but would love to hear what you guys know!

--
    Nyasha George, MD, AAHIVS
    Pronouns: she/her/her

• 2.  RE: Virtual (or in person) support groups for MSM adolescents or young adults with new HIV diagnoses

Posted 05-12-2021 15:54

Hi Nyasha,

Check out Positive Peers: https://positivepeers.org/   It's an app that has a strong peer support component and can be used by folks independently of their care providers, AND care provider organization can also register to use the app (for free I believe) that enables direct messaging between care team members and clients.  

Best,

Dallas Swendeman, PhD, MPH

Associate Professor, Department of Psychiatry and Biobehavioral Sciences, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA

Affiliated Faculty, Department of Epidemiology, UCLA Fielding School of Public Health

Co-Director, Development Core, Center for HIV Identification, Prevention & Treatment Services (CHIPTS)

TAP In EHE Technical Assistance Provider: https://targethiv.org/ta-org/tap-in

10920 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 350, Los Angeles, CA 90024

Pronouns (He/Him/His)

UCLA HEALTH SCIENCES IMPORTANT WARNING: This email (and any attachments) is only intended for the use of the person or entity to which it is addressed, and may contain information that is privileged and confidential. You, the recipient, are obligated to maintain it in a safe, secure and confidential manner. Unauthorized redisclosure or failure to maintain confidentiality may subject you to federal and state penalties. If you are not the intended recipient, please immediately notify us by return email, and delete this message from your computer.