Academy Exchange

View Only
  • 1.  Generic etravirine

Posted 10-06-2021 16:06
    Does anyone know if the pills of generic etravirine are dispersable like the brand?
    It's an excellent antiviral (potent, well tolerated, and high resistance barrier) other than the large chalky pills. I usually advise dispersing in water (as per the package insert) but want to make sure the generics have this capability. 
    Current price is as low as $378 for a month's supply, so with generic Truvada it has the potential for an affordable regimen for folks who want/need to pay cash for their treatment.

Peter

Peter Shalit, MD, PhD, FACP, AAHIVS 
    Cabrini Tower, 901 Boren Ave Suite 850, Seattle, WA 98104 
    P 206-624-0688 F 206-624-2432  

• 2.  RE: Generic etravirine

Posted 10-07-2021 14:30
    Hi Dr. Shalit, 
    Per the package insert for the generic etravirine made by Amneal (which is currently the only one available), yes, it can be dispersed in water.  The directions are the same as for brand: mix the tablet with at least 5 ml water but then that may be mixed with 15 ml of liquid (water, orange juice, or milk).  They do recommend not using warm or carbonated liquids though.

I hope this helps!  I agree that using the available generic formulations is a great way to help treatment become more accessible.

Jessi

------------------------------
    Jessi Truelove
    Seattle WA
    ------------------------------

• 3.  RE: Generic etravirine

Posted 10-07-2021 21:30
    Thank you, Jessi! I just prescribed it so we'll see how it works out for my patient. I think a lot of providers may not be too familiar with etravirine. It was never very popular, and I know HIV providers who have never prescribed it, but it's an excellent NNRTI and now the generic availability makes it an important option.

Peter

Peter Shalit, MD, PhD, FACP, AAHIVS 
    Cabrini Tower, 901 Boren Ave Suite 850, Seattle, WA 98104 
    P 206-624-0688 F 206-624-2432