Academy Exchange

View Only
  • 1.  Use of the Term "Mid-Level"

Posted 03-27-2021 16:13
    Edited by Thomas McQuaid 03-27-2021 16:13
    Hello All,

I've come across several posts where people used the term "mid-level" to reference NP's or PA's.
    I'd like to kindly ask that we work to retire this expression which was coined by neither group, is on its face highly pejorative and frankly highly offensive. 
    I can assure you all that I am a top-level provider not a mid-level one. 
    In my opinion if you aren't at top level you probably shouldn't be practicing.
    This was a term coined by DEA to describe non-physician prescribers and It would be helpful to strike it from daily discussion. 
    The American academy of Nurse Practitioners has a position statement which can be accessed here.

Thanks for your consideration,
    Tom

------------------------------
    Thomas McQuaid
    Stamford CT

• 2.  RE: Use of the Term "Mid-Level"

Posted 03-28-2021 15:47

Hi Tom
    Thank you for your post. PAs and NP are Advanced Practice Providers. I had always found the term "mid-level" demeaning since there is nothing mid-level about making life-sustaining decisions for the patients under our care. 

Gary

Gary F. Spinner PA,MPH,AAHIVS
    Medical Director
    Ryan White HIV/AIDS Program
    Southwest Community Health Center
    Bridgeport, CT
    gspinner@swchc.org
    Gary.spinner@aya.yale.edu

• 3.  RE: Use of the Term "Mid-Level"

Posted 03-30-2021 19:44
    Hello Thomas, 
     This is a divisive term used widely, Covid times are however changing many things and one of the main benefits I have seen is better utilization of Advance Practice Providers in various areas. May this be the potentiation needed for a more inclusive healthcare front in benefit of our patients. 

Susana Lagunas FNP-BC
    IHC-Michigan St
    South Bend, IN

Susana Lagunas
    South Bend IN