Academy Exchange

Expand all | Collapse all


  • 1.  Privacy

    Posted 09-15-2020 15:40
    How do you handle privacy for individual who are under a spouse's or parent's insurance if they do not wish to disclose that they are on PrEP or ART?

    Michael Robinson, MD

    Clinical Assistant Professor

    ECU Adult Specialty Care

    2390 Hemby Lane

    Greenville, NC 27834

    Office (252) 744-2548

  • 2.  RE: Privacy

    Posted 09-16-2020 15:22
    There is a program out of California called Keep it Confidential, that I use to educate patients.  I'm in Nevada.  I print off the form and share with patients about how to communicate with their insurance companies.

    Here is the website Keep It Confidential.
    Myhealthmyinfo remove preview
    Keep It Confidential.
    If you are covered under another person's health plan in California-like your parent's or spouse's-your health information will not be kept private unless you... TAKE ACTION. It's easy: Submit a Confidential Communication Request to your health plan provider today. Take 3 SIMPLE STEPS. The Confidential Communication Request form is available for download in English and Spanish.
    View this on Myhealthmyinfo >

    John Phoenix
    Las Vegas NV

  • 3.  RE: Privacy

    Posted 09-16-2020 16:09
    Hi Dr Robinson,

    You might ask your state ADAP plan folks. You can also go to Patient Assistance Plan at manufacturer, they may consider this an "uninsured" situation that makes them eligible for their plan: HIV Drug Assistance Programs.

    Interesting discussion on adolescents in AZ on page 11 here:
    If the payer does not have a procedure set up for this situation, you can always give them a call to ask them how you can handle it. When I was working in AZ, there were options for increasing teen privacy.


    Steve McCrosky, FNP, AAHIVS

  • 4.  RE: Privacy

    Posted 09-18-2020 09:17
    Thank You!

    Michael Robinson
    Greenville NC