Academy Exchange

Expand all | Collapse all

What are you seeing from the online PrEP programs like Nurx or Mistr?

• 1.  What are you seeing from the online PrEP programs like Nurx or Mistr?

Posted 4 days ago
    ​I'm curious if others have much experience bridging care for PrEP patients who have used Nurx, Mistr or other competitors to get PrEP online with home testing.  We have our own PrEP program (not with home testing) but sometimes our new patients come to us only after a clunky attempted start with those online services. Our pharmacy team has been a little puzzled as they often can't verify the online PrEP prescribers from these businesses.   

Josh Rohr PA-C

------------------------------
    Joshua Rohr
    Seattle WA

• 2.  RE: What are you seeing from the online PrEP programs like Nurx or Mistr?

Posted 3 days ago
    I've had some experiences with Mistr.  Would not recommend for a couple reasons.
    1. They don't treat the STI's they diagnos.
    2. The testing is expensive, and not always the best because patients do what is "cheapest"
    3. The telemedicine portion hasn't always been with a provider.  I've had patients complain that it's all text email, no provider face to face/telephone.
    4. They ship from out of state pharmacies, and at least 1 of the pharmacies they shipped from to Nevada, I can't find them as being licensed in Nevada, which is a Nevada board of pharmacy requirement.
    5. I've called the corporate office about these concerns, and they don't really care.  It's all about money.

I think the concept is great, but the program thru Mistr isn't addressing the issue, risk!

John Phoenix
    Las Vegas NV

• 3.  RE: What are you seeing from the online PrEP programs like Nurx or Mistr?

Posted 3 days ago
    Thank you very much John for sharing the information, concerning Mistr.

Henry Bryant
    Pembroke Pines FL

• 4.  RE: What are you seeing from the online PrEP programs like Nurx or Mistr?

Posted 2 days ago
    I was not aware of points 1-3 but good to know, I strongly agree with your points 4 and 5, we are seeing the same.  They also advertise Descovy on their website and apparently all of the scripts we've received are Descovy only. When the pharmacy tech asked the Mistr customer service about Truvada first line, she said they just said a quick "no" and wouldn't put her in touch with their providers which of course raised red flags. 

Joshua Rohr
    Seattle WA

• 5.  RE: What are you seeing from the online PrEP programs like Nurx or Mistr?

Posted 3 days ago
    Agreed that this can be really challenging to figure out when patients last received PrEP and their last labs through NURX.  Unfortunately we have seen 1 patient who was getting his PrEP through NURX and showed up to us with HIV and M184V mutation.  It was unclear what follow-up he was getting from NURX and when he had last been tested or prescribed PrEP.  I want to be supportive of these programs to increase access for patients, but I am concerned for the same reasons as you!

Hillary Liss
    University of Washington
    Seattle WA

• 6.  RE: What are you seeing from the online PrEP programs like Nurx or Mistr?

Posted yesterday

Not impressed.
    one patient came in with a paper stating he had syphilis. He was given 30 days of Descovy with no refills and needed a refill. I ordered an RPR and treated him. RPR turned out non-reactive, however, during the encounter I discussed just coming here for PrEP and it was a good thing because. The following week he developed diverticulitis, and I had to send him for a CT scan then put him on antibiotics. So needless to say, he is my primary care patient now.

Another patient was put on Descovy and actually had HIV. He had been on Descovy for a couple of weeks before finding out he was positive.  That was a pretty sad ordeal. 

There is something to be said about hands on care. It can't be replaced.

Sorry

Amber Siegel
    Crew Health
    Oviedo FL

• 7.  RE: What are you seeing from the online PrEP programs like Nurx or Mistr?

Posted 15 hours ago
    Wow, this is quite interesting- I only got to hear about this from my Descovy rep. He mentioned that there is a foreign Descovy in the market to be aware. I hope people will be more careful and I will have to discuss this with my patients to be aware. 

Thanks

Lucy Efobi
    Linden NJ

• 8.  RE: What are you seeing from the online PrEP programs like Nurx or Mistr?

Posted an hour ago
    I haven't heard about this until now! Maybe, it's a bogus company and should be investigated. Wow, thanks for all the information posted!

Vickie Cobb-Lucien, APRN, FNP-BC, AACRN
    Orlando, FL