Academy Exchange

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Generic Truvada

• 1.  Generic Truvada

Posted 11-24-2020 12:55
    Reaching out to hear any other's experience. I have a few patients on United Healthcare and recently they sent out letters informing them that they will no longer be filling prescriptions for Descovy or Truvada only generic. Well one of them I just switched to generic says that it now is costing him $150 (Not clarified if that is monthly or quarterly) and was wondering about other options? anyone?

Worried that most all had Advancing Access cards and were not paying a co-pay and this new cost may be prohibitive for some and could be a barrier to them continuing PrEP.

What has been your experience?

------------------------------
    Michael Roggelin MSN, AGNP-C, AAHIVS
    Chicago, IL

• 2.  RE: Generic Truvada

Posted 11-24-2020 15:09

Teva is offering a Rx assistance for generic emticitabine/TDF

https://www.tevahivgenerics.com/truvada-generic?wc_mid=6226:917017&wc_rid=6226:17797811

Kristy D. Johnson-Pich DO, AAHIVS

Medical Advocacy and Outreach

(formerly Medical AIDS Outreach of Alabama)

1865-3 Honeysuckle Road, Dothan, AL 36305

(334)673-0494 Phone  |  (334)678-7225 Fax

www.maoi.org

HIV Healthcare | Telemedicine Services | Free HIV Testing | Education | Housing Support | Case Management | Resource Referral | Food Bank | PrEP | Hepatitis C Treatment

Facilities: Montgomery, Dothan

Telemedicine Satellite Clinics: Abbeville, Andalusia, Brewton, Clayton, Evergreen, Hayneville, Linden, Marion, Selma, Troy

image002.png@01D4D8E4.40E883B0

Confidentiality Notice - This e-Mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential or privileged information. If this message concerns a lawsuit, it may be considered a privileged communication. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.
      ­­  

• 3.  RE: Generic Truvada

Posted 11-24-2020 19:31
    Oh awesome! thanks for this.

Chicago, IL

• 4.  RE: Generic Truvada

Posted 11-24-2020 15:09
    We have an in-house pharmacy, and we have been able to get most patients who had side effects on Truvada (esp diarrhea) onto Descovy by reporting that. Then they can continue to use copay cards, keeping it affordable. I'm not sure about methods to cut the cost of the generic Truvada.

Tassy Hayden, MD, AAHIVS
    she/her
    Southampton Healthcare, Inc
    St Louis, MO

• 5.  RE: Generic Truvada

Posted 11-24-2020 15:14

https://www.tevahivgenerics.com/truvada-generic  The generic has a copay card as well. 

Cassandra Esperant
    Sunrise FL

• 6.  RE: Generic Truvada

Posted 11-24-2020 19:32
    Ok, great. Thanks!

Chicago, IL

• 7.  RE: Generic Truvada

Posted 11-24-2020 15:17
    We've had a surprising amount of success using the Teva copay assistance platform.  I expect this will be more a a barrier in Jan, as the limits on that card are a lot lower, but so far it's been working pretty well.

Daniel Scales
    Denver CO

• 8.  RE: Generic Truvada

Posted 11-24-2020 15:52
    I have not yet had to switch any of our patients to generic just yet. However, Teva, the company that makes the generic TDF/FTC, has its own patient assistance program and co-pay program. Haven't started using it yet, but I suspect we all will soon. 

https://www.tevausa.com/our-products/article-pages/Patient-Assistance-Programs/

Benjamin Sokoloff, DO
    Portland OR

• 9.  RE: Generic Truvada

Posted 11-24-2020 16:32
    If all else fails I have been referring patients to online PrEP prescribers like Mistr (heymistr.com) and NurX. Mistr has a really great sliding scale program for both the medication and the labs. To me it is a sad day indeed because we don't need more barriers to PrEP access and our legislators failed us by arguing to take Truvada off patent early without any real plans to make up for the access that the Co-Pay cards provided, never mind plans to assist with lab fees. Some states have expanded their ADAP programs to include PrEP, MA and NY in my area. Given the current of state of things, I think advocating for states to expand ADAP to cover PrEP is one of the best targets in terms of advocacy.

* I do not have any financial ties to either Mistr or NurX, nor and other financial disclosures

Jona Tanguay
    Meriden CT

• 10.  RE: Generic Truvada

Posted 11-24-2020 19:35
    Yes or if it will be a barrier, looks like maybe a "social media" campaign

Chicago, IL

• 11.  RE: Generic Truvada

Posted 11-24-2020 17:30
    My best friend recently went on PrEP. He was on United and same exact scenario you presented. In his case, the Planned Parenthood provider just switched the script to Descovy (he has no renal/bone issues, no side effects of Truvada) and then United paid.  I thought that was odd and I'll be curious if that works for him again next month.

Joshua Rohr
    Seattle WA

• 12.  RE: Generic Truvada

Posted 11-24-2020 19:30
    Yes, I think next month will present the problem as they state after January 01, 2021. I have their paperwork for a PA and I have to say they crossed all t's and dotted all i's. It is pretty specific about exceptions.

Chicago, IL

• 13.  RE: Generic Truvada

Posted 11-24-2020 19:20

I haven't heard anything yet. But it is my understanding that with PrEP as a grade "A" USPSTF recommendation there should be no out of pocket cost to insured individuals.  

Gary

Gary F. Spinner PA,MPH,AAHIVS
    Southwest Community Health Center
    Bridgeport, CT
    gspinner@swchc.org
    Gary.spinner@aya.yale.edu

• 14.  RE: Generic Truvada

Posted 11-25-2020 08:15
    Hi There!

The Patient Advocate Foundation (copays.org) can assist with insurance copays for HIV prevention (Truvada or Descovy) -- so long as the pt meets their eligibility requirements. Income must be 400% or less of FPG. They typically award $7500 per year. Hope this helps!

Elizabeth Barnes, PharmD, AAHIVP, BCACP
    Huntersville NC