Academy Exchange

View Only
  • 1.  recently updated CDC PrEP guidelines, point of clarification

Posted 01-05-2022 16:48

I'm curious what providers are doing about the somewhat confusing new PrEP guidelines update from last month.  

For patients who have taken ART in the past 90 days as PEP or PrEP, we now would run both an HIV screen AND a viral load every 3 months?  I think I see what they're trying to catch here but the lab and cost burden are taking me by surprise.  I found it odd this significant change wasn't called out in the "What's New" intro.  

PrEP Guideline 2021 Update (cdc.gov)  pages 15, 30 and 31 are what I'm referring to.

Any other takes or insights? 

Thanks in advance,
    Josh Rohr PA-C

------------------------------
    Joshua Rohr
    Seattle WA

• 2.  RE: recently updated CDC PrEP guidelines, point of clarification

Posted 01-06-2022 15:15

I will not be checking HIV PCR for q3mo follow up for those on oral PrEP unless clinically indicated. Note you will need to check PCRs with Cabotegravir use/before each injection. We discussed this with our ID faculty at UCLA, some of whom contributed to the guidelines and are leading PrEP experts, and they agreed. 

Best,
    Josh 

Josh Khalili MD, AAHIVS 

Joshua Khalili
    Los Angeles CA

• 3.  RE: recently updated CDC PrEP guidelines, point of clarification

Posted 01-06-2022 20:40
    This is different that the guideline that is put out by NYS AIDS Institute and I'm not doing VL every 3 months.  I sent a question to them and asked it be forwarded to the guideline committee.  I'll let you know what I hear.

Mary Angerame
    Rochester NY

• 4.  RE: recently updated CDC PrEP guidelines, point of clarification

Posted 01-11-2022 16:04
    Good afternoon, 

I had to review the guidelines again myself. I will say that the summary table on page 15 is confusing. But in reading the rest of the guidelines and recommendation, I understand the recommendation to check an HIV PCR ( as suggested by the algorithm diagram) is in instances where there is a reported or potential exposure to HIV and there is concern for acute HIV infection. As the two figures 4a and 4b are under the header of ACUTE HIV INFECTION. So I understand it to say that IF you have a person on PrEP currently and there is a history suggestive of ACUTE HIV INFECTION, then you should proceed with an Ag/Ab test AND a PCR. 
    I await clarification from the Guideline Committe.  I am sure Dawn Smith, would welcome the commentary 

Quintin Robinson
    Absolute Care Medical Center & Pharmacy
    Atlanta GA

• 5.  RE: recently updated CDC PrEP guidelines, point of clarification

Posted 01-12-2022 17:26

I submitted the question to Dr. Gonzalez who is the Chair for the NYS AIDS Institute PrEP guidelines.  His response:

Mary Angerame, MS, APN-BC, AAHIVS

Anthony L. Jordan Health Center

82 Holland St.

Rochester NY 14605

585-520-9264

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE TO RECIPIENT: This transmission contains confidential information belonging to the sender that is legally privileged and proprietary and may be subject to protection under the law, including the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA). If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, you are prohibited from sharing, copying, or otherwise using or disclosing its contents. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail and permanently delete this e-mail and any attachments without reading, forwarding or saving them. Thank you.