Academy Exchange

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Credentialing exam

• 1.  Credentialing exam

Posted 10-15-2020 20:09
    Did anyone use the National HIV Curriculum to study for the exam? National HIV Curriculum

I do have the Fundamentals of HIV Medicine book, but the national HIV curriculum has the question bank which I really like. I did not purchase the practice tests from AAHIVM, but I have been doing the quizzes on the National Curriculum... wondering if others have found that helpful?

Thanks all, I take my test next month :)

------------------------------
    Gina Tomkus
    San Diego CA

• 2.  RE: Credentialing exam

Posted 10-16-2020 15:06
    I would like to follow this thread. Thanks for the question. I am using National HIV Curriculum as well, i like how they presented the information, and i feel like i retain more doing that than reading the book.

Nadejda Dobrydnik
    Sunny Isles Beach FL

• 3.  RE: Credentialing exam

Posted 10-16-2020 15:34

Hi Gina,

I work on the National HIV Curriculum and I can share with you that the National HIV Curriculum is listed as a suggested resource to prepare for the ACRN exam among other resources which you might find helpful. Several learning groups have been formed on the National HIV Curriculum for the specific purpose to prepare for a credentialing exam. AAHIVM also suggests the National HIV Curriculum to prepare for their exams. With the launch of the National HIV Curriculum 2nd Edition on 9/1/20 which means a new CE accreditation period, we now offer Maintenance of Certification points which will be of interest to American Board of Internal Medicine board certified physicians.

I'm glad to hear that our board review style Question Bank section with more than 450 questions have been of assistance. Good luck with your exam!

Julia

• 4.  RE: Credentialing exam

Posted 10-16-2020 15:44
    Thank you Julia!
    Yes I agree with Nadejda above, it is much easier to study using the questions in the question bank rather than reading the AAHIVM book! :)

Gina Tomkus
    San Diego CA

• 5.  RE: Credentialing exam

Posted 06-01-2021 11:34

​Hello,

How come family doctors cannot get CME credit regarding the National HIV Curr? 
    Just Curious why it was designed this way?

Aaron

ONLY physicians who are board certified with the American Board of Internal Medicine (ABIM) and provide required ABIM information are eligible to earn CME credit and Maintenance of Certification (MOC) points on the National HIV Curriculum.

Aaron Cleveland
    El Dorado Hills CA

• 6.  RE: Credentialing exam

Posted 06-06-2021 16:29
    Family doctors can get CME credit, just not the convenient and direct MOC that internal medicine docs get that goes directly to their Board. You can still apply and receive credit- I have in the past anyway, and then submit separately to ABFM

Betsy Brown
    The Polyclinic
    Seattle WA

• 7.  RE: Credentialing exam

Posted 06-07-2021 13:11
      |   view attached
    Dr. Cleveland,

Dr. Betsy Brown was correct. The National HIV Curriculum still provides free CME credit to physicians and advanced nurse practitioners who correctly answer at least 80% of the questions in a lesson's quiz or corresponding question bank topic and complete the survey.  The 2nd Edition of the National HIV Curriculum, launched September 1, 2020, offers 97.5 free CME, MOC, CNE, and CE as well as 70.5 free pharmacology CE for advanced practice nurses. Registered learners may obtain 2nd Edition CE even if they previously obtained 1st Edition CE as all content was reviewed and updated for the new 3-year CE accreditation period which began September 1. 

The attached PDF lists all of the National HIV units and the available CE.

Respectfully,
    Julia

Julia Freimund
    National HIV Curriculum, University of Washington Infectious Diseases Education and Assessment (IDEA) Program
    www.hiv.uw.edu

Attachment(s)

• 8.  RE: Credentialing exam

Posted 10-16-2020 22:40
    Gina,

Yes, another good resource. You will find using various resources that help to cement the material to be beneficial. Here are a few more:

https://oar.nih.gov/hiv-resources/health-professionals
    https://www.thebodypro.com/?ic=3001
    https://nccc.ucsf.edu/clinical-resources/hiv-aids-resources/

Michael Roggelin MSN, AGNP-C, AAHIVS
    Chicago, IL

• 9.  RE: Credentialing exam

Posted 10-18-2020 18:31
    Thanks.

Lucy Efobi
    Linden NJ

• 10.  RE: Credentialing exam

Posted 10-18-2020 18:37
    Thanks again. Great resources.

Lucy Efobi
    Linden NJ

• 11.  RE: Credentialing exam

Posted 10-18-2020 18:30
    Hi Gina,

We are on the same boat here :) I love the National HIV curriculum as well, in fact, I have covered the whole question bank. Also with the HIV Medicine book, you can try and do the question bank online as well. 

Best of Luck!

Lucy Efobi
    Linden NJ

• 12.  RE: Credentialing exam

Posted 02-24-2021 21:54
    Thank you, 2021 and I have the same question. Good information/ resources in this thread

Stella Ngetich
    Lees Summit MO

• 13.  RE: Credentialing exam

Posted 07-14-2021 17:24
    Yes…I have used National HIV Curriculum. It is very helpful. I also found the textbook very helpful and HIV information from the CDC. I hope this is helpful.

Henry Bryant
    Pembroke Pines FL