Academy Exchange

View Only
  • 1.  Patient starting APRETUDE for PrEP

Posted 06-23-2022 15:19
    Hi Everyone 

I have a patient that is transitioning from Oral PrEP to LAI PrEP with APRETUDE They have a federal BCBS plan, prior authorization is already approved for one year and CVS Caremark is the in-network Specialty Pharmacy, and they are all set for their initiation injections. Unfortunately ( actually fortunately) they are moving to Chicago in August for Medical School.  They should get their first 2 injections in June and July and would require the third injection in September. They are eager to start, came to me specifically for LAI. Does anyone know of any providers in Chicago that are active and/or prepared to start delivery of LAI PrEP? If you can you respond here or send me a personal message. 

Thanks.

------------------------------
    Quintin Robinson
    Absolute Care Medical Center & Pharmacy
    Atlanta GA

• 2.  RE: Patient starting APRETUDE for PrEP

Posted 06-24-2022 15:53
    I do not have a specific provider name but I would check in with Howard Brown Health clinic.

Monika MacLean, APRN
    Southwest Community Health Center
    Bridgeport CT 06604

• 3.  RE: Patient starting APRETUDE for PrEP

Posted 06-25-2022 19:19
    Yes, Howard Brown Health in Chicago has locations throughout the city of Chicago and is currently administering Apretude to many patients for PrEP.

• 4.  RE: Patient starting APRETUDE for PrEP

Posted 06-27-2022 00:14
    Can you send me a contact for your billing collections contact? We were never able to come close to breaking even and we want to know if you figured something out or simply subsidized the injectable thru 340b or other funding.
    This is directed at both of you as our patients really liked injectables but had to stop them because of the huge money loss.

Sent from my iPad

• 5.  RE: Patient starting APRETUDE for PrEP

Posted 06-27-2022 20:03
    I advised the Viiv Rep that our 340B proposed reimbursement of about $70 for every 2 months injection was way below what would be needed for us to provide Apretude for PrEP.

Brian R. McMurray, MD, FACP, FACEP, AAHIVS
    Music City PrEP Medical Director
    Nashville, TN

Brian R. McMurray, MD, FACP, FACEP, AAHIVS
    Brentwood TN

• 6.  RE: Patient starting APRETUDE for PrEP

Posted 06-28-2022 16:27
    I'm curious as well. On the medical billing side, I know the CPT code specific for Apretude isn't effective until July 1, which means a generic code has been used for now. I'm hoping the specific CPT code helps with reimbursement. Our pharmacy reimbursement has been good though.

Katy Garrett
    Lexington KY

• 7.  RE: Patient starting APRETUDE for PrEP

Posted 06-29-2022 15:09
    Thanks everyone for your input. I was aware of Howard Brown and that was going to be my go to referral and that seems to be the consensus here, I gave the patient a list of the locations and encouraged them to engage in care as soon as possible. 
    As far as the billing questions are concerned, I don't have access to that person or that information as i am part of a multi-state organization, but as far as I know we have not had any billing or reimbursement difficulties. 

Thanks for all your assistance 
    Quintin

Quintin Robinson
    Absolute Care Medical Center & Pharmacy
    Atlanta GA