View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

K65R + M184V with possible pan insti resistance

• 1.  K65R + M184V with possible pan insti resistance

Posted 08-04-2023 12:41

Hi all,

Just a bit curious what others would do in this situation:

44yo male, MSM.
    Newer patient to practice from an mpx diagnosis through ED in 12/22; subsequently new linkage to care with our team for HIV starting in March after LTFU s/p completion of TPOXX. Pt states off ART completely for 5+ months. Genotyping conducted on that first linked-to-care HIV appt showing pan-susceptibility, VL 1740 . Pt states hx of several various HIV offices in the surrounding area since 2013 dx along with many ART combinations (some previous ART: epizom, DTG+Tdf/F, RTV+TDF, DRV/c+doravirine). Patient rescreened at next appointment in May 2023, VL of 299 with BIC/T/F. 1 week later, enrolled in a research study and re-screened; genotyping showing pan insti resistance, K65R and M184V. VL 12,300.

Patient asked about medication adherence, stating daily only 1 missed dose over the last 1-2 months. 

At this point, we have pan-PI and pan NNRTI susceptibility. 
    Engaging with patient, explained he will need to be prepared for a switch off STR, and will likely need two tablets per day. 
    Newest VL now 30,400.... don't yell at me, I collected a phenosense in anticipation of a VL increase. 

I will have to take him off BIC/T/F obviously, but what kind of regimens are people using with K65R+M184V (and Y115F but I wasn't considering ABC for the future, anyway). The geno is predicting pan INSTI resistance (Q148R, E138K).

I'm leaning towards DRV/Cobi/T/F + DOR

Any thoughts or advice appreciated!

-A

------------------------------
    Ashwin Gupta
    Philadelphia PA

• 2.  RE: K65R + M184V with possible pan insti resistance

Posted 08-04-2023 15:31

Ashwin,

Do you have results of VL from when he was on DRV/c + DOR? This is the regimen I would have chosen based on K65R and M184V considering the INSTI resistance that is documented. I would not expect much benefit of adding TAF/FTC to this. Based on the information given above, he is fully sensitive to PIs and NNRTIs, and we only need two fully active agents to reach virologic suppression. 

My recommendation would be DRV/c + DOR and ensure he understands that oral options are scarce at this point. If he blows this regimen, it will be salvage therapy.

Best of luck.

Jake

Jacob Lines, PharmD, AAHIVP
    ETSU COE for HIV/AIDS
    Johnson City, TN

• 3.  RE: K65R + M184V with possible pan insti resistance

Posted 08-04-2023 16:16

I would agree with you.  While the data suggests they may resuppress on D/c/F/TAF, I think given the known nrti resistance most people would add an NNRTI and DOR may be preferable to RPV, but either I think would be reasonable. 

Then just have to bring them back in a month, we generally order an hiv rna with reflux to genotype.  Then can consider one of the newer drugs if necessary. 

Alexander Cyganowski
    Tucson AZ

• 4.  RE: K65R + M184V with possible pan insti resistance

Posted 08-04-2023 17:09

Well, the M184V and K65R will essentially knock out the nukes.  So, I'd likely go with DRV/c and DOR.  Why add the possible toxicity of nukes if they won't have much activity?  I would also consider adding an ARV with a new MOA, such as fostemsavir or lenacapavir, or even ibalizumab, to add another layer of protection, since he has already lost two classes.  He needs strong encouragement to comply with his regimen at this point before he acquires more RAMs.   Thanks.

Adam Zweig
    AIDS Healthcare Foundation
    San Diego CA

• 5.  RE: K65R + M184V with possible pan insti resistance

Posted 08-04-2023 17:25

Sorry!   My mistake.  TAF may have some acitvity withe K65R and M184V, so I would use DRVc/TAF/FTC, not DRVc. Would add DOR and likely another agent with a novel MOA as I stated prior.

Adam Zweig
    San Diego CA

• 6.  RE: K65R + M184V with possible pan insti resistance

Posted 08-05-2023 21:56

Hi Ashwin:

This is a great case, thanks for sharing.  I agree with everyone who has responded already; if it's possible to get the actual ARV combinations with past dates (maybe request records from his past clinics), that would be interesting, especially in relation to his past nonadherence leading to mutations.  There must have been some serious nonadherence in the past, so I would maybe dig a little deeper and ask why he was having such a difficult time taking his meds and what measures you could take to ensure this doesn't repeat.  I'd probably choose Symtuza + Doravorine like others have stated, and I would also check a trofile DNA or trofile if it hasn't been checked yet.  You could also add BID DTG if you wanted to, because the indicated Insti mutations (Q148R and E138K) lead to low to intermediate resistance to DTG, so you could dose it BID and it would have activity.  AZT is also active, hee hee.  If you didn't want to go with Doravorine, you could go with RTV/DRV/ETR + BID DTG.  I wouldn't use Cobi in this regimen, though, as it's contraindicated with ETR.

Again, thanks for sharing this case!  Keep 'em coming everyone, this is what makes HIV fun imo.  

James Adams

James Adams
    Desert Oasis Healthcare
    Rancho Mirage CA

• 7.  RE: K65R + M184V with possible pan insti resistance

Posted 08-06-2023 14:42
    You could use fostemsavir instead of the DOR. With his noncompliance history I’d be very Leary of using Lenacaprivir.

Sent from my iPad
    Stephen R Adams, MD

• 8.  RE: K65R + M184V with possible pan insti resistance

Posted 08-07-2023 11:43

Hi Stephen,

Why would you be leary of using lenacapavir?    You are worried about a lower barrier to resistance and him missing every six month doses?    But, I personally worry more about the increased pill burden of fostemsavir, since it is a BID drug.    Anyway, many ways to go here.

Adam Zweig
    San Diego CA

• 9.  RE: K65R + M184V with possible pan insti resistance

Posted 08-16-2023 17:07
    Edited by Ashwin Gupta 08-16-2023 17:08

Hi Adam (and Stephen, James, Jacob, Alexander) and every one else. Sorry for such a late reply;

I have some updates
    (1) phenosense with trofile is pending
    (2) for the case discussion -- I was able to review chart data and past genos from a previous ID provider outside of my current health system----  he has/had DOR resistance and RPV resistance in the past! womp wompp
    (3) I was very interested in everyone's thoughts about DOR vs RPV; which NNRTI would be people's preference in a setting of non-NNRTI resistance. Seems there's agreement that DOR may be more preferable to RPV

In this case, I was left with DRV/c/T/F + fostemsavir: 3 total pills a day (1 qD and 1BID). I agree this increases the bill burden and dietary needs, not amazing.
    I am hopeful this will be the consistent and best regimen for this person.

Ashwin Gupta
    Philadelphia PA

• 10.  RE: K65R + M184V with possible pan insti resistance

Posted 08-17-2023 15:50

Interesting case discussion! The results of the NADIA and VISEND trials both included people with this specific NRTI resistance profile (M184V and K64R) randomized to TAF/FTC with either DTG or DRVr and those in the DRV arm had > 90% suppression of viral load (similar to the DTG arm). Those in the DRV arm who did experience virologic failure did not have development of treatment-emergent resistance to DRV. This of course makes sense with what we know about PI-based resistance (i.e. that most DRV resistance actually developed from failing amprenavir and fosamprenavir regimens). So honestly in this case I would feel fine with Symtuza alone with close follow up. Should he fail, the DRV should remain fully active in a recycled regimen. 

I think prior to the results of NADIA and VISEND I would agree that adding another agent to TAF/FTC/DRVc would be prudent. I'd be interested to know more about his specific NNRTI mutations as ETR may remain fully active even if there is resistance to DOR or RPV, neither of which are studied in people with histories of NNRTI failures. Of the novel MOA agents agree that starting with fostemsavir makes the best sense since based on current data if the patient is X4 tropic, though if R5 tropic would prefer to start with maraviroc. 

Joshua St. Louis
    Cambridge MA

• 11.  RE: K65R + M184V with possible pan insti resistance

Posted 08-17-2023 16:33

Hey Ashwin! Interesting case! We don't see as much resistance anymore so it's a real clinical treat to dig deep in the brain on these cases. Have you considered LEN over FOS, obviously keeping the rest.this patient would qualify based on 3 class resistance. 

Angela Kapalko
    Physician Assistant Chairperson for AAHIVM
    Philadelphia PA